Here are the four critical junctures when you want to make sure that you are connecting with your partner and why:
1. When you are dating a new partner, in order to grow the relationship.
2. To move a newer relationship to the next level, in order to further relationship bonding.
3. During times of stress in a long-term relationship, in order to help your relationship work well.
4. To help a struggling relationship heal.
Here are 5 ideas to easily create connection:
1. Play, have fun, and laugh together. Shared fun and laughter create a strong sense of connection through pleasure in each others company. Make sure that the play is something both of you enjoy doing, so that it is truly fun for both of you.
2. Share your hopes and dreams about things in your life other than your relationship. Sharing hopes and dreams lets each of you glimpse into the others’ mind and heart. Shared internal experience creates a deeper sense of connection and intimacy.
3. Help each other in some way, making sure that the help is mutual rather than one-sided. Help received creates a sense of connection. At the same time, when we give help and support we usually feel closer to that person.
4. Do something challenging or difficult together. Challenging experiences that are shared bond people. Run a marathon together, or do a walk and run event. Paint a house or volunteer together. Help a friend move together.
5. Make a meal together. Come up with the meal ideas together, share the shopping, the meal prep and the clean up in some way. Sit down and eat together. Shared meals are a universal connection and intimacy building experience.
These 5 ideas may seem simple and easy, which is just the point. Creating connection in a relationship is often easy. The key is knowing when more connection will be good for your relationship and then doing some of these activities to create that easy connection, on purpose.
If you’re having trouble connecting with your partner, schedule a Get Clarity telephone Coaching session to start working on creating the easy, joyful connection you deserve.